Scottish volunteer Rifle Corps, 1860
The Liverpool Scottish was a relatively
short-lived unit of the Volunteer Force that made a reappearance in the
1910s, and remains extant today.
Headdress – Dark blue Glengarry cap with red pompom stitched to the crown.
Black ribbon decorates the bottom edge and hangs down the back. The unit
badge was fixed to a square of black ribbon on the left side of the cap.
Tunic – Grey cloth with red facing cloth on the collar, shoulder straps and
cuffs. Piping on the latter created an Austrian knot. The front, skirts and
rear were also piped with red cord.
White metal buttons closed the front and were on the rear seams.
On each sleeve is the single red chevron of rank.
Legwear – Urquhart tartan trews worn over ankle boots.
Equipment – Brown leather waist and cross belts. The latter supports a large
brown leather ammunition belt sitting behind the right hip. Behind the left
hip hung the bayonet in its frog.
Weapon – Calibre 0.577in Enfield 1853 rifle and bayonet.
This depiction is an estimation based on contemporary descriptions.